cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Marek Ĺ abo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz>
Subject Re: Help with Jersey Rest Services and Cayenne
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 23:11:22 GMT
Hi,

I think something was discussed here some time ago
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cayenne.apache.org/msg05674.html.

I have this in my TODO but it has to be "two birds - one rock" in my
case, so if my thesis submission pushes through I will be implementing
the marshaller (complex relationships are bloated in DTOs anyway).

Regards,

Marek

On 06/02/2011 01:57 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:43 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> XML (or other types of serialization) of framework-managed objects is a pretty involved
topic. So my advise would be to use your own POJO data transfer objects (DTO) to work with
JAXB (those can be auto generated from the model with custom templates if you want).
> And I wish at some point we'd create JAXB bindings for Cayenne. Just that nobody volunteered
to do that yet. We took a few shots at various XML serialization implementations. The most
notable are:

> 1. http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/api/org/apache/cayenne/xml/package-summary.html
>
> Working, but has severe performance limitations. Deprecated in 3.1 and will be removed
from Cayenne in the future.

> 2. http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-serialization/
>
> A proof of concept that I wrote for metadata-driven XStream-based serializer (can work
with JSON or XML). I like this one. It provides fine-grained control over which parts of the
object graph are serialized and is generally more flexible than 1. However it still requires
significant work to make it production-quality.