cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Help with Jersey Rest Services and Cayenne
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 07:09:13 GMT
Very cool. Please also take a look at the link that I posted:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-serialization/

You may not use any of the actual code, but I hope the idea of defining a "serialization spec"
based on a subset of the existing Cayenne mapping metadata has some merit and is pretty flexible.

Andrus

On Jun 7, 2011, at 2:11 AM, Marek Ĺ abo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think something was discussed here some time ago http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cayenne.apache.org/msg05674.html.
>
> I have this in my TODO but it has to be "two birds - one rock" in my case, so if my thesis
submission pushes through I will be implementing the marshaller (complex relationships are
bloated in DTOs anyway).

> Regards,
>
> Marek
>
> On 06/02/2011 01:57 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:43 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>
>>> XML (or other types of serialization) of framework-managed objects is a pretty
involved topic. So my advise would be to use your own POJO data transfer objects (DTO) to
work with JAXB (those can be auto generated from the model with custom templates if you want).
>> And I wish at some point we'd create JAXB bindings for Cayenne. Just that nobody
volunteered to do that yet. We took a few shots at various XML serialization implementations.
The most notable are:

>> 1. http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/api/org/apache/cayenne/xml/package-summary.html
>>
>> Working, but has severe performance limitations. Deprecated in 3.1 and will be removed
from Cayenne in the future.

>> 2. http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-serialization/
>>
>> A proof of concept that I wrote for metadata-driven XStream-based serializer (can
work with JSON or XML). I like this one. It provides fine-grained control over which parts
of the object graph are serialized and is generally more flexible than 1. However it still
requires significant work to make it production-quality.