cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: 3.1 roadmap and DI
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 14:43:34 GMT
Hi Marek,

So are you planning to use Cayenne DI container to manage your app services outside of Cayenne?
Or just to do Cayenne configuration? Note that while it is possible to use Cayenne DI as a
general purpose container outside Cayenne (and the container itself is pretty nice), I would
advise against it. If only because we'll never support features that are not needed for Cayenne
(and that result in 90% of the code bloat in other DI containers). Having said that, you are
definitely welcome to try :-)

Now the release schedule... Unfortunately it is hard to commit to a specific release timeline
on a volunteer project. But we are moving ahead steadily, and here are a few points about
3.1 that hopefully will give some idea:

1. The plan with 3.1 was to release it much faster than our previous major releases. I only
have 1 major new feature on my TODO list for 3.1 and I won't object if it gets pushed to 3.2
(that feature is automatic runtime merging of multiple Cayenne descriptors).

2. I am using M2 in production already. DI container is working great, and as far as I am
concerned it is complete for 3.1 purposes.

3. Certain things inside Cayenne stack are still not injectable (e.g. the logger), and we
are working to make them injectable. This is probably the only showstopper between now and
3.1 beta.

Cheers,
Andrus

On May 6, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Marek Ĺ abo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask you guys where do you see 3.1 now? M2 is 2 months out and I would
like to ask where do you see the first RC (months/year)? I couldn't find a roadmap and I'm
working on a project that would benefit from DI features. I could do it with guice as I'm
using it right now but seeing the direction cayenne is taking I would hate to end up envying
the native DI framework :)