cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz>
Subject Re: 3.1 roadmap and DI
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 14:54:56 GMT
Hi Andrus,

On 05/06/2011 04:43 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>
> So are you planning to use Cayenne DI container to manage your app services outside of
Cayenne? Or just to do Cayenne configuration? Note that while it is possible to use Cayenne
DI as a general purpose container outside Cayenne (and the container itself is pretty nice),
I would advise against it. If only because we'll never support features that are not needed
for Cayenne (and that result in 90% of the code bloat in other DI containers). Having said
that, you are definitely welcome to try :-)

         My main components are wicket+guice+cayenne and most of the DI
concerns facades and
contexts so if I try I would fit in Cayenne DI, if not, as I read they
(w. guice) won't interject.

> Now the release schedule... Unfortunately it is hard to commit to a specific release
timeline on a volunteer project. But we are moving ahead steadily, and here are a few points
about 3.1 that hopefully will give some idea:

> 1. The plan with 3.1 was to release it much faster than our previous major releases.
I only have 1 major new feature on my TODO list for 3.1 and I won't object if it gets pushed
to 3.2 (that feature is automatic runtime merging of multiple Cayenne descriptors).

> 2. I am using M2 in production already. DI container is working great, and as far as
I am concerned it is complete for 3.1 purposes.

         I'm glad to hear that, and understand the difficulty of
persistent roadmap, my project is developed by two volunteers as well.
Only thing I have in mind left is documentation. Is it embedded in
javadoc or is there any transitional document besides the update notes?

Regards,

Marek

> 3. Certain things inside Cayenne stack are still not injectable (e.g. the logger), and
we are working to make them injectable. This is probably the only showstopper between now
and 3.1 beta.

> Cheers,
> Andrus
>

> On May 6, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Marek Šabo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to ask you guys where do you see 3.1 now? M2 is 2 months out and I would
like to ask where do you see the first RC (months/year)? I couldn't find a roadmap and I'm
working on a project that would benefit from DI features. I could do it with guice as I'm
using it right now but seeing the direction cayenne is taking I would hate to end up envying
the native DI framework :)