cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Build from trunk
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:23:31 GMT
See my replies below.

On Apr 12, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> All Eclipse files for the modules that people normally care to have in Eclipse are
checked in to SVN, so just importing the modules should be ok. You prolly don't need the docs
module in Eclipse. There's no code in there.

> Yes, I already saw there is no code. But mvn eclipse:eclipse should
> not fail imho even when there is no code in it. Probably I simply want
> to edit the html files with my favourite eclipse plugin.

If we can fix it, I won't argue against it :-)

> What I just saw was there is a target folder committed to svn. This is
> also very unusual. Why is it there? Guess the api is somehow generated
> into the docs target folder and from there put into the doc.jar

I don't see the target folder in SVN. There's only src folder here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/docs/doc/

> Now the unpublished thing... We are trying to hide some internal modularity from the
end users for simplicity sake. And we are going  against Maven normal practices in doing that.
So when building from command line, we aggregate a bunch of unpublished modules in cayenne-server
and cayenne-client aggregate modules (aggregating their transitive deps as well). And that's
what the end users should include in their POMs.

> OK. I don't see the real benefit. For me its ok to split the modules.
> The enduser still can include cayenne-server and cayenne-client even
> when those two jars have dependencies to f. e. cayenne-di.jar. I don't
> think a user really cares how many cayenne jars are on his classpath.
> Nor do I think he feels its easier to have 5 jars on the classpath or
> to have 50 more classes in a single jar.
>
> Hope I do not open a can of worms, but I would think its easy if
> everything follows the standard practices. Now - as I want more of
> Cayenne - I have the surprising problem to understand the speciality
> of the cayenne build. That was one of mavens biggest pluses.

There are reasons and I'll be happy to discuss them. But please start a separate thread on
the dev list with the corresponding subject.

>> All the "ext" modules are for building CayenneModeler on different platforms (Mac,
Windows, Generic). Some of them are platform dependent (e.g. depend on jars that only exist
in OS X; or on an OS-specific windowing system).

> Well, I am on OS X. Windows and Generic build for me, when I include
> the dependencies as said. Cayenne team has already separated the
> platform dependencies into different profiles - but my problem is more
> with f. e. cayenne-di-unpublished. This package seems to be platform
> independent. It is only on "provided" scope. I stil think this should
> be at compile scope. or did i miss something?
>

>> So with the above in mind, what are you planning to do with Cayenne in Eclipse? Very
likely you just need a smaller subset of modules.

> I work on a Project A and would like to add the eclipse projects as
> dependency, not only the jar files. But as I learned now, I am not
> sure if this is possible.

Let's put it this way - this wasn't the target use case for us. Still it is possible, but
you will need only a few modules in Eclipse - cayenne-di-unpublished and cayenne-jdk1.5-unpublished.
You can safely ignore the rest. The runtime component is not that big. Tests and various support
tools create this whole Maven complexity.

> I have succeeded with compiling and dependencies, but still get curious errors:
>
> org.apache.cayenne.configuration.server.DataDomainLoadException:
> [v.${project.version} ${project.build.date} ${project.build.time}]
> Configuration file "CayenneFilter.xml" is not found.

How do you bootstrap CayenneRuntime? This error is about a failure to locate your project
XML file.

Andrus