cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: deprecate XML package in 3.1
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:41:57 GMT
Hi Adrian,

Sorry for a belated reply and thanks for describing your XML serialization scenario. I think
it sorta proves my point that current serialization framework only works in very special cases
(e.g. in your case we have a single entity per serialization run, no handling of relationships,
and no real-time performance requirements). And this particular special case is fairly straightforward
to build from scratch.

Cheers,
Andrus

On Dec 4, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:
> Hi there
>
>> the issue in the subject is being currently discussed by Cayenne developers (see
the message from dev below). Anybody's using XML serialization now? If so I'd like to hear
how you deal with all the deficiencies of this package?

> Yes, actually both, serialisation and deserialisation. We thought it is a nice way to
have snapshot files. A snapshot file is just a zipped container containing a manifest file
and one or multiple files containing data. One table represents a single file, XML formatted.

> Since all our tables have UUID as primary keys snapshot files make it possible to allow
road warriors to easily take data on the road and later check it back into the main database...