cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Bruno René Santos <brunor...@holos.pt>
Subject Re: Left Outer Joins without expressions
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:41:23 GMT
Hello Andrus,

I am so sorry you are right Cayenne is generating outer joins. The
problem was that i was checking one of the prefetches for a Many-to-one
relationship where the second query uses an inner join to join the
related table with the root table.

Thank you
Bruno

Em 06-01-2011 09:13, Andrus Adamchik escreveu:
> Which version of Cayenne are you using?
>
> I am checking our unit tests (Cayenne 3.1, but this part hasn't changed from 3.0) including
simple to-one and to-many joint prefetching and both generate outer joins:

>   SELECT DISTINCT t0.DATE_OF_BIRTH, t0.ARTIST_ID, t0.ARTIST_NAME, t1.ESTIMATED_PRICE,
t1.PAINTING_DESCRIPTION, t1.PAINTING_TITLE, t1.ARTIST_ID, t1.GALLERY_ID, t1.PAINTING_ID FROM
ARTIST t0 LEFT JOIN PAINTING t1 ON (t0.ARTIST_ID = t1.ARTIST_ID)

> SELECT t0.ARTIST_ID, t0.PAINTING_ID, t0.GALLERY_ID, t0.PAINTING_DESCRIPTION, t0.ESTIMATED_PRICE,
t0.PAINTING_TITLE, t1.ARTIST_NAME, t1.DATE_OF_BIRTH, t1.ARTIST_ID FROM PAINTING t0 LEFT JOIN
ARTIST t1 ON (t0.ARTIST_ID = t1.ARTIST_ID) ORDER BY t0.PAINTING_ID

> Andrus
>
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 1:37 AM, Bruno René Santos wrote:
>
>> Hello Andrus,
>>
>> In Mysql the generated join is:
>>
>> ... from table1 join table2
>>
>> which is an inner join... I needed a
>>
>> ... from table1 left join table2
>>
>> Regards
>> Bruno
>>
>> Em 05-01-2011 18:20, Andrus Adamchik escreveu:
>>> IIRC in 3.0 PrefetchTreeNode.JOINT_PREFETCH_SEMANTICS generates an outer join
by default (???)

>>> Andrus

on the query expressions? I tried something like this:

  | Gestor de Projectos | Analista | Programador | Tech Hunter

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error please notify Carlos Fazenda by telephone on +351 210 438 686

>> --
>> Bruno René Santos | brunorene@holos.pt<mailto:brunorene@holos.pt>  | Gestor
de Projectos | Analista | Programador | Tech Hunter

>> Holos - Soluções Avançadas em Tecnologias de Informação S.A.
>> Parque de Ciência e Tecnologia de Almada/Setúbal . Edifício Madan Parque
>> Rua dos Inventores . Quinta da Torre . 2825 - 182 Caparica . Portugal
>> Phone: +351 210 438 686 . Fax: +351 210 438 687 . Web: www.holos.pt
>>

>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email
in error please notify Bruno René Santos by telephone on +351 210 438 686