cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Fwd: deprecate XML package in 3.1
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:48:32 GMT
Hi Cayenne users,

the issue in the subject is being currently discussed by Cayenne developers (see the message
from dev below). Anybody's using XML serialization now? If so I'd like to hear how you deal
with all the deficiencies of this package?

Thanks,
Andrus

Begin forwarded message:
> To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
> Subject: deprecate XML package in 3.1
>
> I suggest to deprecate XML serialization package in 3.1 and remove it in 3.2. There were
past discussions why it is not a working solution for real life applications (DOM, singletons,
etc.). Also real life serialization/deserialization patterns are different from what we provide
there (at least I couldn't adopt it to any of my own needs). And finally there's nobody around
willing to address these deficiencies.

> Some time back I started on an alternative serialization package, currently checked in
to sandbox:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-serialization/
>
> It uses XStream and is based on an idea similar to ROP - serialization specification
is defined like to prefetches in a select query - there's a root entity, and there's a bunch
of prefetch paths for related objects that need to be serialized together with the root objects.
It works, but has some of rough edges and missing features. Also would be really cool to port
that to JAXB, as JAXB is a part of J2SE these days. As I won't be able to work on this any
time soon, it requires other motivated individuals to make it production-ready.

> In any event I don't see a point in keeping the existing XML package regardless of the
outcome of the replacement, and would like to phase it out.