cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Some questions
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:38:57 GMT
Hi Andre,

On Oct 12, 2010, at 3:49 PM, André Rothe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not familiar with Cayenne, so I have some question to come to a decision about the
usage of Cayenne in the current project.

> Is it possible to use multiple databases with Cayenne? We have written some code to load
JDBC driver dynamically on runtime, so we can provide additional databases without restarting
the application/server. Is it possible to use such a feature with Cayenne? The database schemas
are different too...

Yes, it is possible. The concept of a DataNode exists to model physical DB servers and map
each one of them to a subset of the entities. Starting/stopping/changing DataNodes at runtime
is an option.

> The database schemas of the application increase at runtime, is it possible to create
new Cayenne-like classes at runtime?

Yes, and I think Cayenne is unique in this respect - we support a generic persistent object,
so the schema can be reengineered or created by some other means in runtime:

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/generic-persistent-class.html

> Is there any bigger open-source project, which I can test to see Cayenne "in action"

Good question... Others may have more info on that. I can only say that Cayenne has been deployed
in a number of high-end commercial applications (like nhl.com). This won't help you with code
examples, but should give some assurance as to the scaleability and stability of the framework.

Andrus