cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Wiesmann <awiesm...@somap.org>
Subject Entity Attribute Value model with Cayenne?
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:21:57 GMT
Hi there

Has anybody ever tried to implement the Entity Attribute Value (EAV)
model [1] with the help of Cayenne.

Or do you have another idea how to model fully typified additional
fields to existing tables so that administrators can enhance their
installation?

The idea behind this is that some companies have - as example -
different needs to describe their records or to group their assets. Now
we could go the simple way and just add a few (varchar) fields in the
table here and there. But these additional fields would neither be
typified nor would they have sounding names but something like field1,
field2. Chaos guaranteed :)

Now I am looking for a way to allow an administrator to define which
table may have what additional fields. He should be required to define
the type, length.. of these additional fields. EAV sounds like the way
to go, but I am not sure about extending Cayenne for this.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-attribute-value_model