cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tomas Stenlund <tomas.stenl...@telia.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne 3.0 and DataViews/DVModeler
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:37:17 GMT
Hi,

thanks for your quick replies. Yes I understand what you are saying. So
I think for the time being I will make the sourcecode changes in my
local sourcefiles to handle the namespace for dvmodeler so it can read
the XXXXmap.xml files for the entities and create something like a
dataview.xml in parallell to the cayenne.xml. Then I can continue
evaluating dataviews without having to be hindered by the rewrite of the
cayenne.xml and the namespace in the map files.

Cheers,

Tomas

2010-08-21 13:19, Andrus Adamchik skrev:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> yeah, that's the case.
>
> I should also note that we'll be happy to revive the DV project if we find a dedicated
volunteer to support it. I guess if that happens, my main request would be to keep the DV
stuff decoupled from Cayenne runtime and cayenne.xml file.

> Cheers,
> Andrus
>

> On Aug 21, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Tomas Stenlund wrote:
>

>> Ooops,
>>
>> I'm sorry I did not search the mailing list thoroughly, there is already a posting
related to the dataviews getting thrown out of the cayenne.xml. So that one is known.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tomas
>>
>> 2010-08-21 12:39, Tomas Stenlund skrev:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> as I have understood the dataviews and dvmodeler has been cut out of th cayenne
project and is no longer maintained. Nevertheless I have kind of fallen in love with cayenne
during my evaluation of it and also would like to have a look at dataviews and dvmodeler to
see if it fits my needs. I understand that this is the user forum for cayenne but maybe someone
can at least point me onwards if so.

>>> So, therefore I have compiled the dataview/dvmodeler svn source on my machine.
So far so good, no problems.

>>> But when I try to open up one of my cayenne 3.0 projects in dvmodeler no objentities
are shown and no errors are shown. I started to debug the dvmodeler and found out that it
fails to find the children (obj-entity) of the data-map node.

>>> CayenneProject.java
>>>
>>> List elements = elem.getChildren("obj-entity");
>>>
>>> It fails because the XXXXXXmap.xml file has a xmlns="http://cayenne.apache.org/schema/3.0/modelMap"
causing the getChildren above to fail. If I change the getChildren call to also include the
namespace it works or if I remove the xmlns from the XXXmap.xml file. Then I can work with
dvmodeler.

>>> So far so good, but when I reload the project into CayenneModeler it rewrites
the namespace again and also removes any dataviews in the cayenne.xml. So, I need to have
different configurationfiles for cayennemodeler and dvmodeler.

>>> So now to my question, does anyone have any thoughts on starting to maintain
dataviews/dvmodeler ?

>>> If there are no such plans yet, If I find any changes/corrections due to bugs
or whatever that I would like to make during my evaluation of this, are there anyone maintaining
the dvmodeler svn source or do I keep those changes to my self :-)