cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne 3.0 and DataViews/DVModeler
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:19:18 GMT
Hi Tomas,

yeah, that's the case.

I should also note that we'll be happy to revive the DV project if we find a dedicated volunteer
to support it. I guess if that happens, my main request would be to keep the DV stuff decoupled
from Cayenne runtime and cayenne.xml file.

Cheers,
Andrus

On Aug 21, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Tomas Stenlund wrote:

> Ooops,
>
> I'm sorry I did not search the mailing list thoroughly, there is already a posting related
to the dataviews getting thrown out of the cayenne.xml. So that one is known.

> Cheers,
>
> Tomas
>
> 2010-08-21 12:39, Tomas Stenlund skrev:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as I have understood the dataviews and dvmodeler has been cut out of th cayenne project
and is no longer maintained. Nevertheless I have kind of fallen in love with cayenne during
my evaluation of it and also would like to have a look at dataviews and dvmodeler to see if
it fits my needs. I understand that this is the user forum for cayenne but maybe someone can
at least point me onwards if so.

>> So, therefore I have compiled the dataview/dvmodeler svn source on my machine. So
far so good, no problems.

>> But when I try to open up one of my cayenne 3.0 projects in dvmodeler no objentities
are shown and no errors are shown. I started to debug the dvmodeler and found out that it
fails to find the children (obj-entity) of the data-map node.

>> CayenneProject.java
>>
>> List elements = elem.getChildren("obj-entity");
>>
>> It fails because the XXXXXXmap.xml file has a xmlns="http://cayenne.apache.org/schema/3.0/modelMap"
causing the getChildren above to fail. If I change the getChildren call to also include the
namespace it works or if I remove the xmlns from the XXXmap.xml file. Then I can work with
dvmodeler.

>> So far so good, but when I reload the project into CayenneModeler it rewrites the
namespace again and also removes any dataviews in the cayenne.xml. So, I need to have different
configurationfiles for cayennemodeler and dvmodeler.

>> So now to my question, does anyone have any thoughts on starting to maintain dataviews/dvmodeler
?

>> If there are no such plans yet, If I find any changes/corrections due to bugs or
whatever that I would like to make during my evaluation of this, are there anyone maintaining
the dvmodeler svn source or do I keep those changes to my self :-)