cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Consolidate query and object cache
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:25:37 GMT
I would imagine cache groups will still be in the picture. I can't
think of a scaleable cache management API without them. And yes, they
do require planning in advanced cases.

I am personally using distributed invalidation of cache groups when
certain objects are changed. This allows to create custom business
rules for partial and targeted cache invalidation with almost no
performance overhead (e.g. if (object.createdDate < X) { expire
"old_cache_for_entity_x_group" } else { expire
"new_cache_for_entity_x_group" }. Pretty flexible, but does require
upfront planning.

I am still unsure how to reconcile object and query cache at this
point. My current direction with that is to place both object and
query cache under the same cache storage and management mechanism. But
I can't see how we can do automatic invalidation of the right query
cache groups efficiently, as any given object change may result in
object removal from some lists (when its properties no longer match
list fetch conditions) or addition to some others, etc., etc. In fact
cache groups mechanism was the answer to the inability to predict how
an arbitrary object change affects the cache.

If there are better ideas, I'll be happy to hear them.

Andrus