cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@roxanemy.com>
Subject Re: Book
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:08:25 GMT
+1.

SQLTemplates rock. :) The last "high performance" app I had to write definitely utilized SQLTempaltes
in performance critical sections of code to generate custom reports potentially hundreds of
thousands of records long.

Robert

On Jun 24, 2010, at 6/241:47 PM , Evgeny Ryabitskiy wrote:

> Hello 2 everyone.
>
> I wish to add one more chapter... About... not ORM part of Cayenne.
> I know Cayenne represents itself as "Cayenne is a mature, powerful,
> full-featured open source Object/Relational Mapping (ORM) framework".
> But Cayenne is also a powerful "Query Execution Framework" or "Query
> Engine".
>
> We have been developing high performance Enterprise Applications for
> Bunk Industry for almost 3 years with Cayenne.
> There is no ORM only SQLTemplates and Row queries. We working with
> Maps instead Objects. This architecture has some disadvantage: it's
> harder to develop and maintain such applications. But advantage is
> that such applications are really fast.
> With power of SQLTemplates where we can turn queries for DB type, we
> are supporting 4 RDBM types (mssql, sybase, oracle, db2). So it is a
> Success Story :)
> I think Example of building applications over Cayenne without ORM is
> something that can be interesting for users.
>
> Evgeny
>

> 2010/6/24 Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net>:
>> I think I might have mentioned some of this previously:
>>
>> 1. Audience Perspective - presenting material (perhaps even the same technical material)
from a different perspective.
>>        - Just as the developers and architects want to see a use-cases (and/or examples)
for the various features of Cayenne, I think that there should be a sort-of "use case" for
a project manager, perhaps a how-to for a quick evaluation of performance and features.
>>        - This "perspective" would not only be a service, but also help ensure that
a project manager's evaluation is based on correct and optimum usage of the Cayenne feature
set.
>>        - Note: I have seen *many* projects suffer from negative evaluations based
on poor evaluation plans and the questionable test results that are produced.

>> 2. Reference, Element, and Collaboration
>>        - With many projects, reference and elemental-usage documentation is typically
presented well.
>>        - However, advanced Object/Component Collaboration is sometimes overlooked.
>>        - I have personally learned a vast amount from the best-practices and "tricks"
used by the Cayenne team that they share from their own projects.
>>        - Idea: Cayenne-users could donate various collaboration examples which could
be then edited by the Cayenne team for use in the book.

>> It is my experience that if you provide an easy-to-implement evaluation plan along
with an 'advanced features field guide', the test team is more likely to use that in place
of something they create from scratch.