cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Blobs in the DataContext
Date Sat, 22 May 2010 03:47:41 GMT
On 22/05/10 7:27 AM, MGargano@escholar.com wrote:
> I'm using cayenne to store large files in BLOBs as a process runs.
>   The first step of the process is storing large files (~ 600MB)

I'm sure others will chime in with similar thoughts: ORMs are not really designed for this
type of workload. For that matter, nor are most databases. I'd even avoid ever turning these
things into Java objects at any point along the way. You might like to explore other ways
of storing these files on disk, keeping the metadata in the database controlled by Cayenne
(filename, size, created date, user, etc.).

If you must continue along the path you've chosen, you'll want to spend quite some time with
a Java profiler (like Yourkit or jprofiler) looking at all the places these objects end up,
and exactly how they get garbage collected. That's not just about Cayenne but everywhere from
the JDBC stack through to your import/export process.

Cheers
Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis