cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: JSON serialization
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 14:48:40 GMT
Yes, if you do it uncontrolled, it can become a problem. I started a
prototype of a smarter serialization framework (based on XStream BTW)
to solve this exact problem:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-
serialization/

The main idea is to define a subgraph of the model to serialize and
let Cayenne/XStream do the work. In a way it is similar to how
prefetches are specified - a bunch of path's from the root entity:

Subgraph<Table2> subgraph = new Subgraph<Table2>(Table2.class,
context.getEntityResolver());
subgraph.addClonePath(Table2.TABLE1_PROPERTY);

XStreamSerializer serializer = new XStreamSerializer();
serializer.serialize(object, subgraph, out);

The prototype has a few unresolved issues and I currently have no time
to deal with them, but the idea looks solid.

Andrus