cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Elementary Question
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:17:51 GMT
Hi Joe,

The AUTO_PK_SUPPORT table is only used when PK Generation Strategy =
Default.  Cayenne Modeler creates the AUTO_PK_SUPPORT if when
generating the SQL you check the "Create Primary Key Support"
checkbox.  You don't need AUTO_PK_SUPPORT unless you are using the
Default strategy on some of your tables.

Your create statement should look more like:

CREATE TABLE pickers.product (..., oid BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
..., PRIMARY KEY (oid)) ENGINE=InnoDB;

Make sure your create statement includes the AUTO_INCREMENT option for
your oid.  If you don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as an option, MySQL will
not auto-increment or generate your PKs.

mrg

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I need a simple verification (because the webhost tech person is very confused).
>
> To explain further: I am using Cayenne Modeler to design the entities, and to create
the database tables in MySQL. (i.e. Tools - Generate Database Schema).  My understanding,
and my tests have proved, if you set [PK Generation Strategy] to "Database-Generated", and
[Auto Incremented] to "oid (INTEGER)" then Cayenne Modeler will "request/instruct/ask " MySQL
to create a table, then set the oid as the primary key, and set auto_increment to "true" for
that field.

> The following code was generated by the Cayenne Modeler (I deleted everything not having
to do with the table or key)

>        CREATE TABLE pickers.product (PRIMARY KEY (oid)) ENGINE=InnoDB;
>        CREATE TABLE AUTO_PK_SUPPORT (  TABLE_NAME CHAR(100) NOT NULL,  NEXT_ID
BIGINT NOT NULL, UNIQUE (TABLE_NAME));
>        DELETE FROM AUTO_PK_SUPPORT WHERE TABLE_NAME IN ('product');
>        INSERT INTO AUTO_PK_SUPPORT (TABLE_NAME, NEXT_ID) VALUES ('product', 200);
>

> The question now is: Has Cayenne Modeler generated SQL that creates a table named "product",
with a primary key "oid", whose value is automatically created by MySQL's InnoDB engine, using
auto_increment, at the time of the INSERT?  Another way of asking this is: In this scenario,
does Cayenne generate the key, or does MySQL generate the key?

> I would like to forward a brief response to the webhost.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>

> On Apr 20, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Michael Gentry wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Your wording on #2 and #3 was a little curious to me.  I don't know if
>> you used Cayenne Modeler to generate your schema or if you are using
>> an existing schema.  Cayenne (at runtime) doesn't really instruct the
>> database (MySQL) to auto-generate keys.  Cayenne will nont provide a
>> value for "oid" when inserting the record and that essentially
>> instructs MySQL to auto-generate a key.  You set this up when you
>> create your product table, for example.  The database needs to know
>> that it is responsible for auto-generating the keys -- Cayenne won't
>> tell it at runtime (other than leaving the key out on insert).
>>
>> Maybe I'm a bit off on what you were asking, but it seems like you are
>> expecting Cayenne to tell MySQL to generate the keys when it actually
>> works the other way around: MySQL is supposed to know to generate the
>> key and Cayenne then asks it for the key it generated.
>>
>> mrg
>>
>> PS. BTW, your settings are correct to use the auto-generated key
>> feature in MySQL, just be sure the table was created to auto-generate
>> on your "oid" column.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> I apologize for this, but I am being forced to verify a configuration that is
pretty obvious.

>>> Please refer to the attached CM configuration panel for an Entity.
>>>
>>> 1. The Primary Key "PK Generation Strategy" is set to "Database-Generated".  Please
verify that this means that the PK Generation Strategy is Database Generated.
>>> 2. The Primary Key "Auto Increment" is set to "oid (INTEGER)".  Please verify
that the field being auto-incremented is "oid".
>>> 3. Please verify that (with the DBMS set to MySQL) that the two previous parameters
instruct MySQL to use its auto_increment feature to create a new "oid" value for inserted
records.