cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Visibility & Monitoring
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 20:24:20 GMT
Andrus,

In this same context, I have a question about what behavior I should expect to see.

Let us assume for this scenario:
1. a web deployment with Tomcat, typical webstore pattern
2. 2000-5000 products with an attribute "name"
3. custom search engine built on top of cayenne
	a. mostly standard configuration
	b. set PageSize to 50
	c. using (presumably) default caching
	d. custom factory class method used to create a select query
4. a user searches for "guitar" substring in the name field

Questions:
1. Based on my tests, it appears that "hollow" objects are created but no faults are fired.
(true?)
2. If I display any product data for a subset less than PageSize, then only <PageSize>
number of objects are faulted (true ?)
3. If I execute "filterObjects" or "orderList" on the resulting list, I assume the fault is
fired for all objects in the list. (true ?)
4. What normally happens to these objects if my list pointers go out of scope?  (Are they
GarbageCollected per Java rules?)

(Note: I have not been able to get much visibility in understanding (3) & (4), but I think
my tests show that 1 & 2 are correct.)
Joe

On Apr 8, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> BTW, we started on some monitoring hooks inside Cayenne runtime in 3.0 per http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1173
, however then it was decided that it'll work much better with the 3.1 DI-based stack. So
this is waiting for its time.

> Andrus
>

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Joe Baldwin wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to do more performance monitoring (with an eye towards optimizing
my design & use of DataObject lists and lifetime).

>> The first thing I would like to do is monitor how many DataObjects are created and
which JSP session they belong.

>> My idea was to simply create a constructor for the DataObject of interest and place
monitoring hooks inside. I would assume that I could also create a finalize method to do similar
things.

>> Is this the best way to create custom monitoring using Cayenne DataObjects or is
there a better way?

>> (BTW, even after reading the docs, I am still somewhat mystified by how my configuration
specifications control the life cycle and performance.  So I am hoping these custom hooks
will make my design decisions more visible, especially with multiple users.)