cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Understanding Weak Reference Behavior
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:41:27 GMT
Andrus

thanks for the info.

I am trying to get visibility into the effects of my configuration parameters.

So if as you say, getDataRowCache().size() reports the number of "snapshots" and not the number
of objects, the this is essentially reporting the number of hollow objects fetched.  (I verified
this with a test I did, in which I fetched a number of objects but did nothing to trigger
a fault.)

So what values (methods, classes, etc) do I monitor in order to find out the status of the
cache (i.e. how many faulted objects, how many hollow objects over time)?

(The reason I need this is: if I am going to start experimenting with query cache, and other
parameters, it is important to monitor the effects.)

Thanks,
Joe

On Apr 13, 2010, at 5:09 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Joe Baldwin wrote:
>
>> I have tried to ask this question previously but did not see a response.
>
> Sorry, prolly missed your previous message.
>

>> Assume default cache configuration, will the following call:
>>
>> 	((org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext)BaseContext.getThreadObjectContext()).getObjectStore().getDataRowCache().size()
>>
>> return the number of DataObjects in DataContext cache for a webapp (using standard
configuration)?

> No. getObjectStore().getDataRowCache() returns a shared cache object used by *all* DataContexts
in the system (this assumes the default "on" value of "use shared cache" checkbox for the
DataDomain is not changed). Also it stores "data rows", i.e. "snapshots" of objects, not the
objects themselves.

>> (The reason I am asking is that this number this method reports always grows during
the life of the app, even on my dev server.  I would have expected this value to get smaller
once all of the sessions release references to the Select Query array lists, are nulled, and
then GC'd.)

> Actually it is an LRU, so once it reaches a certain max size, it stays constant. The
default is 10000 snapshots and can be changed via a somewhat misnamed "Size of Object Cache"
field for the DataDomain in the Modeler. Just don't set it to a value lower than an expected
concurrent number of uncommitted objects across all contexts in the system.

>> What should this number look like during the course of a well written webapp?  Shouldn't
the number go up and down depending on GC?  (If there is a better method for visibility, please
let me know.)