cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: BUG: Cayenne Modeler
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:21:48 GMT
Mike,

Thanks, we all probably need to understand this for better Cayenne Modeler designing.  I am
still confused by some of your comments ...

> This is a foreign key mapped as an object attribute as opposed to a relationship "toArtist"
from painting to artist.

I am not sure what the distinction is that you are intending.  I originally added the foreign
key as an attribute and (assuming that I am taking the correct steps) am mapping the relationship
using Cayenne Modeler.  I have never seen the CayenneModeler warning prior to this.

The only difference in my procedure in this case is the order in which I mapped the relationship.
 I have an entity (E1) that requires a classification (aka complex type), and I  implemented
that "complex type" definition as another database table (E2).  Therefore from the perspective
of E1 there is a "to-one" relationship (i.e. so you can then say: E1 is a type of E2).  For
this design, it is not terribly useful to think of the "type" E2 as having a collection of
E1's.  *However*, when I define the "to-one" relationship as I describe above, Cayenne modeler
auto-magically creates a "to-many" reverse relationship.

Under normal circumstances I typically define the "to-many" relationship first, but not this
time.  I was wondering if this could have precipitated the error with CM?

BTW, I did the same steps last night with another Entity and got the same freeze, then crash.
 It appears that this condition might be creating an infinite loop (because it takes about
3-4 minutes before the modeler crashes and all functions are frozen during this time).  My
work-around to avoiding a crash was to decline CM's offer to "remove the foreign key".

It would be nice to understand a bit more about what CM is assuming so that I can feel more
confident about my work-around.

Joe

On Feb 1, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> I won't address the crash, but I can explain what it should mean.
>
> Assume you have a column ARTIST_ID in table PAINTING, which is a
> foreign key to table ARTIST.
>
> When the ObjEntity was set up, assume an "artistId" attribute was created.
>
> This is a foreign key mapped as an object attribute as opposed to a
> relationship "toArtist" from painting to artist.
>
> Normally you don't need direct access to the foreign key, so the
> modeler is asking you if you want to get rid of "artistId" and other
> such attributes.
>
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Joe Baldwin <jfbaldwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Tried to save a project with a new Entity (which had a many to one relationship).
 When I selected "Save" the following panel was displayed:

>>        Remove Foreign Keys mapped as object attributes?
>>
>> Not sure what this would accomplish, I selected "Yes", which appears to be the wrong
answer because Cayenne Modeler crashed big time. (see auto report below)