cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Cayenne and SqlLite, Cayenne 3.0 vs. 2.0
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:50:50 GMT
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Eric Lazarus <ericllazarus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the help, folks!

Welcome!

> So, are people saying we should go with Cayenne 3.x and H2 or Apache Derby as our personal
desktop data store? We didn't want to use anything that was unstable or incomplete but it
is sounding like 3.x is what is current.

Cayenne 3.0 is pretty stable, even if it is at M6.  Whether it is
incomplete or not probably depends on what you'd hope to find in 3.0.
:-)

> Who is using Apache Derby? Who is using SQLLite? What makes sense for us? Our goals are
to get this out RAPIDLY and make it run on everything, install easily and make it easy for
folks in the open source world to continue the development. The database must be invisible
to the end user with no maintenance headaches.

I know Apache Derby is embedded in Apache Geronimo.  I don't know what
JBoss/Glassfish/etc use.  I've not had much experience with Derby, but
it seemed to me to be bigger/heavier than H2 or HSQL.  I don't know if
it is more reliable or feature complete or easier to use, though.
Some of that is subjective, anyway.