cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Eric Lazarus <ericllaza...@yahoo.com>
Subject Cayenne and H2 on the desktop
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:00:55 GMT
Folks

Thanks for you folks direction on using H2 as our database but we are a bit stuck on how to
do it. We are moving toward using Cayenne 3.0M6 and H2 for the desktop version of an application
that should be as idiot proof as possible. We want for the end user to not have to understand
that there is a database there at all.

Any suggestions about how we should configure things? For example, should we configure H2
to run embedded if we don't want the end user to have to be aware of it? How DO we configure
it that way? What should we be reading to figure out how to do that? I am not even sure we
understand what it means to run "embeded." Does that mean that that database is in the same
VM? That we don't go via JDBC at all?

Also, we are trying to load a postgres dump into H2 and am failing because H2 does not support
the COPY statement. I have tried enabling postgres compatibility mode by appending ';MODE=PostgreSQL'
to my database url. This results in a error message stating 'File not found 'backup.sql'.
I tried putting my dump in a file by that name and got the same message.

I also tried sticking 'SET MODE PostgreSQL ;' at the top of my SQL dump file. This had no
effect the script still abended with a syntax error on the COPY command.

Where the best place to ask H2 questions? Is there an IRC room? A list serve?

thanks!

Eric

+1 (917) 589-6579