cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Dave Lamy <davel...@gmail.com>
Subject Transient objects question
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 02:07:17 GMT
Quick question/problem on transient objects:

I've got a persistent class AppVersion, which simply tracks a version of the
code/database values for migration purposes.  I want to have a persistent
AppVersion in the database, but then create a transient AppVersion
representing the code version for comparison purposes.

So I did what came naturally for the transient object (using
Cayenne-generated _AppVersion/AppVersion classes):

AppVersion codeVersion = new AppVersion();
codeVersion.setMajorNumber(1);

But I get an exception (3.0 M5):

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.cayenne.util.ObjectContextGraphAction.handlePropertyChange(ObjectContextGraphAction.java:59)
    at
org.apache.cayenne.access.DataContext.propertyChanged(DataContext.java:1591)
    at
org.apache.cayenne.CayenneDataObject.writeProperty(CayenneDataObject.java:226)

The ObjectContextGraphAction is pulling the ObjectId, which is null in the
transient object.

What am I doing wrong here?  How can I create a transient object and write
property values without getting this NPE?

Thanks for the help--
Dave