cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Faulting Behavior with setPageSize() and Sort Ordering
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:31:24 GMT
This is a question concerning making performance enhancements with
Cayenne directives.

Lets say you use the following SelectQuery method

	query.setPageSize(RowsPerPage);

But then you decide to sort order the result list using

	Ordering order = new Ordering(<entity>.<attribute>_PROPERTY, true);
	order.orderList(resultList);

If I understand the docs, then the purpose of setting the PageSize
parameter is to reduce the work load (and increase performance) by
limiting fetching to the first "RowsPerPage" amount of data-objects.

I am wondering whether performing a sort ordering on the resultList
triggers *all* the page and object faults.  If I am correct then sort
ordering would render setPageSize moot in this scenario.

Is my analysis correct or has Cayenne somehow avoided this?  (Or is
there another way to do sort ordering?)

Joe