cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: abstract entities, inheritance, etc.
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:53:25 GMT

On 24/04/2009, at 9:53 AM, Robert Zeigler wrote:

> I expected the Entry subclass of _Entry, and superclass of the other
> two concrete classes to be abstract.  Instead, only the
> cayenne-"managed" superclass was abstract.
> It seems like there's very little point to that: nobody is going to
> try to directly instantiate _Entry, anyway.  And I can't put
> abstract methods that subclasses should implement into _Entry, since
> they'll be lost on class regeneration.  I guess it's a matter of
> expectations: by checking "isabstract", I expect cayenne to treat
> that object entity as abstract... and not try to instantiate it. :)

Is this fix as simple as changing the DOtemplate for the subclass? Now
I understand your point and I think you are right that it is broken,
but the fix should be one line in the template.

To some degree it might make sense for the _Entry superclass to be
abstract always to avoid people shooting themselves in the foot and
using the wrong class by mistake.

Ari

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001