cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Ylan Segal <ylan.se...@gmail.com>
Subject Best Practices Question
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:30:51 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Cayenne. I was looking at the examples in the wiki,
especially at the pet store:

http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/cayenne-petstore.html

So far, I like what I see. The above page does mention that the pet
store example "... definitely needs a rewrite and DB redesign before
we can call it Cayenne Best Practices Demo."

Why isn't it a best practice? Because of the DB design or because of
how Cayenne classes are used? The overall app design (one domain
package, one DAO package, one presentation package) seems reasonable
to me. I would be designing a DB schema from scratch for a web
application (probably with struts), and I am thinking of following the
example pattern, assuming that pattern is not what needs rewriting!
Can anyone suggest best practices for this type of situation? I am
looking for more of a "what packages should we have" discussion rather
than a "this is how you save an object to the database" discussion.

I hope this makes sense.

--
Ylan Segal
ylan.segal@gmail.com