cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: How to map/model files?
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:15:38 GMT

On 22/03/2009, at 6:18 AM, Joseph Schmidt wrote:

> How to model/map files (with their content) e.g. in webapplications?
> What is the best practice?
> (1) To put their content as blob fully in the DB plus fields for
> properties,
> or
> (2) to put the metadata about files only in the DB and the content
>   in a file system?
> or
> (3) other solution?
>
> The second one seems to be the most efficient, but than the entire
> transaction
> support is lost :(.

Cayenne itself doesn't care too much either way. I suspect your
decision will come to things outside Cayenne such as:

* do you wish to end up with these blobs in memory or can you avoid
that by streaming directly from disk (eg. through Apache httpd without
touching Java)
* how will your database cope?
* how will your database backup processes cope?
* how will you manage the files on the file system? Will people touch
them without going through your code and therefore break the links
between the metadata and the files?

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001