cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Coming from EOF: Cayenne vs Hibernate
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:18:01 GMT

On 12/03/2009, at 9:04 AM, Francisco Peredo wrote:

> Hi!I really wonder why nobody has built something like Cayenne on
> top of JPA,
> I mean, it should be clear that Cayenne is higher level API that
> offers a
> lot of advantages..

Andrus has already spent a vast amount of time on moving Cayenne
toward JPA compliance. It is not a goal for 3.0 because other more
important issues are being addressed first. Even though quite a lot of
JPA already works, as you know with the JSR process, you can't be
'almost compliant'. Cayenne will only be able to be advertised as JPA
compliant when all the tests pass.

As for inheritance, Cayenne already supports single table inheritance
and vertical/horizontal are probably only some months away.

Finally, don't be scared by the 3.0M6 naming. It is certainly stable
enough to be used in production, however there is no guarantee that
the API is finalised. So if you use the milestone you may need to
alter your code slightly for the next milestone.

Regards
Ari

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001