cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne + master/slave mysql database replication
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:05:03 GMT
Interesting... I am using a similar setup with MySQL (a master and a
bunch of slaves), however we split the code into read-only and read/
write webapp modules and use separate URL's for each type. In addition
to proper load balancing, this adds a layer of security (apps that are
read-only are guaranteed to have no write access even if there are
programming errors that result in write attempts). Of course this is
not as generic (for instance I'd like my read-write apps to still read
from slaves).

To handle it the way MySQL describes it, the simplest way is to create
a custom "replicating adapter" that is a subclass of MySQLAdapter, and
override 'getAction'. There's a few helper classes involved there
(MySQLActionBuilder, ...), but the goal is to override
MySQLSelectAction to call "connection.setReadOnly" before execution.

If you are using SQLTemplates or ProcedureQueries, the approach is
similar, only you'll need to analyze the contents of the query to
decide whether this is a select or update.

We may include this in Cayenne at some point, but as demonstrated
above, it should be easy to do it as a custom extension.

Andrus