cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Commits not visible across contexts in ROP
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:28:11 GMT

On 13/02/2009, at 3:30 PM, Tarik Cherkovi wrote:

> Hi,I just had a strange behavior from ROP and maybe missing
> something basic.
> I have multiple clients connecting to the same server, and when one
> of them
> performs a commit, the changes are not visible to the other
> client(s).  Is
> there a way to make all remote contexts?

You'll need to implement that behaviour yourself. Obviously the
simplistic approach is to refresh all caches and queries on the remote
client before you use data where freshness is important.

The problem isn't a trivial one. If you have a bunch of clients on
different subnets, they can't necessarily pass events directly to each
other using JMS or something similar. So the server needs to be
responsible for holding a list of update events which are then passed
out to clients upon request. You could implement something with
SnapshotEvents [1] which are passed either directly between clients
(if they have direct access to each other) or via the server as an
intermediary. Personally I didn't get much further than identifying a
couple of libraries such as Apache Mina and Apache ActiveMQ which
might be useful in such an implementation.

But I am keen on implementing something for our own applications, if
only we had more time....

Ari

[1] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/object-caching.html

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001