cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tore Halset <hal...@pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: Design question considering WebApplicationContextFilter
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:11:36 GMT
Hello.

That should be fine for read only web site. For web sites/pages where
the user will edit and save objects, I find it safer to use a single
ObjectContext pr request. With a session-shared ObjectContext, you can
get into some of the following situations:

1. A context with validation errors are kept with the session. This
can prevent the user from saving other (and even unrelated) objects.

2. A single user session can have multiple requests in parallel. This
can lead you into trouble as ObjectContexts should not be used to edit
objects from multiple threads at the same time.

My favorite is to store ObjectId in the HttpSession insted of a
DataObject and then use a request based ObjectContext. For read-only
operations, a shared ObjectContext should be safe, but that is not so
relevant for my projects.

Regards,
  - Tore.