cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Michael Shea <m...@nitido.com>
Subject Talking to multiple database types with Cayenne.
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:42:17 GMT
Hi guys,

I am working on a project in which I have to support multiple database
types. They do not have to be supported simultaneously - I need my
program to be able to run whether I am using an Oracle database or a
MySQL database (the databases will have the same schema), but the
database type does not change at runtime.

I am wondering if there are any best practices or recommendations for
how to approach this problem. Currently, I am planning on simply
creating two sets of cayenne configuration files in different
directories (ie, a map.xml and a cayenne.xml file), and just adding one
or the other of these directories to the classpath, depending on some
initial configuration parameters that tell me what type of database I'm
accessing. The datasource is defined via JNDI.

Does anyone think that this is a good idea or a bad idea, or have a
better way of doing this? =)  I am using Cayenne 2.0.4.

Thanks!

Mike Shea.