cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Any other ROP examples?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 04:30:07 GMT

On 08/10/2008, at 9:26 PM, Demetrios Kyriakis wrote:

> I wanted to use DataViewes too because it looks much closer to what
> I need (from a Swing perspective), but it doesn't look to work with
> the ROP "transport" style (or maybe I don't get the big picture of
> how to make it work).

Dataviews are no longer part of the core Cayenne library. We did look
at using them a while ago, but decided they would not be that helpful
for our needs. In theory they can reduce the amount of data sent, but
in practice when using paging, that isn't a problem for even tables
with lots of columns.

> Does ROP support some sort of "offline work" ? e.g. when for various
> reasons a few minutes the client is disconnected, to be still
> responsive?

Nothing about ROP works in this way. But you could write your code to
gracefully deal with the exceptions you will get from the broken
connection. That will probably be very complex to write robustly:
think of all the data collision issues you'll have when the connection
comes online again. I guess it depends on how much of your data is
read-only.

On the other hand, when using something like Jetty as the servlet
server, when the connection comes back up it will resume the session
quite happily as long as the session timeout hasn't elapsed.

> What about the cache-ing strategy on the Client? I mean how smart is
> it?

Pretty much the same as in single tier, but you can't use SHARED_CACHE
[1]

> Can this all be configured simply from the Cayenne Modeler like for
> Cayenne Classic?

Absolutely.

Ari

[1] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/caching-and-fresh-data.html

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001