cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Chris Murphy <ch...@strandz.org>
Subject Is registerNewObject() required?
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2008 06:57:15 GMT

I have a relationship between two entities whereby a Worker references
another Worker. The name of the relationship is 'actualBelongsToGroup'.
When I try to set one on the other using this relationship, Cayenne baulks:

    at
org.apache.cayenne.CayenneDataObject.setToOneTarget(CayenneDataObject.java:297)
    at
org.strandz.data.wombatrescue.objects.cayenne.auto._Worker.setActualBelongsToGroup(_Worker.java:229)
    at
org.strandz.data.wombatrescue.objects.cayenne.Worker.setBelongsToGroup(Worker.java:139)

The problem occurs because getDataContext() on the <being set> worker is
returning null.

Do I have to dataContext.registerNewObject( <being set worker>) on the
<being set worker> before calling setActualBelongsToGroup( <another
worker>) on it?

What is the philosophy here? I thought I would be able to put together a
graph of objects, without regard to persistence issues, then later
register them, then commit?

thanks - Chris

--
Seaweed Software Pty Ltd,