cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject Cayenne, XML objects and JDBC 4
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:42:52 GMT
I have just discovered Cayenne and would love to use it for a project
I am working on, but I can't find a way to do something which is
essential for the project: I want to be able to store and manipulate
XML objects in the database via JDBC 4. I'm currently using PostgreSQL
8.3 and have managed to create an XML attribute in a table which other
Java programs can access, but the Cayenne Modeller can't see it. I'm
using the latest JDBC 4 from PostgreSQL (8.3-603), and SQuirreL-SQL
and Aqua Data Studio can see the XML attribute. Cayenne Modeller
3.0M4, using the same JDBC 4 JAR, cannot see the attribute. (Just to
complete the picture, I'm running under Mac OS X 10.5 with Java 1.5).

Am I right in assuming that Cayenne has not yet implemented access to
XML attributes? Is there a known timescale for remedying this? Or can
someone point me at a dummy's guide to how to do it with Cayenne?

I was trying to decide whether to use Hibernate or iBatis when I
discovered Cayenne. If Cayenne isn't going to support XML attributes
via JDBC 4 in the short term I'll have to go back to one of the other
two. With regret, be it said, because Cayenne seems to be a great
little product.

Steve