cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Insert at a particular position in the detail list
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:01:20 GMT
HIbernate actually handles this.
When you define a relationship as a list, hibernate ensures that the
items are always fetched in the same order.
I haven't dug into the details of how to do this.  I know its possible
to explicitly declare a "sort column", but generally unnecessary;
I assume that in the absence of an explicit sort column, hibernate
(silently) adds a sort column for you.

I can check into how they handle the non-explicit-ordering-column case
if you'd like.

Interestingly, by default, a one-to-many relationship in hibernate is
still handled through an intermediary join table.
You can override that, of course, but I thought it a curious default.
That said, by silently handling relationships that way,
it would allow them to add the sort information to the join table,
which has no object corollary so your object model is uncluttered.

Robert