cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tore Halset <hal...@pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: DbGenerator vs. MergeContext
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:07:24 GMT
On Aug 22, 2008, at 13:36, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Interesting... I am not using either for anything complex lately,
> preferring manual SQL scripts executed with dbpatch Ant task, so I
> am a bit out of the loop.

The sql-scripts is a very solid way to work, but some people would
probably prefer the ease of the modeler for such tasks. The merger is
also very good for verifying that your model and database is in sync.

> So Tore, would you consider the merge package a logical superset of
> DbGenerator (even though not all features are there yet)? Or is
> there still non-overlapping pieces of functionality?

I think the merge-package is a superset of DbGenerator except for the
ordering of the DbEntities. Further, the thing you use DbGenrator for
is just a special-case for what you can use the merger for. Starting
with a non-complete database and an empty database is almost the same
thing.

> I would also love to have less redundancy and drop DbGenerator at a
> point when there is a complete and more powerful replacement.

Merge call DbGenerator where DbGenerator has the needed functionality.
The reason for this is to save code and testing. It could easily be
refactored when we are happy with the merger.

Regards,
  - Tore.