cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Tore Halset <hal...@pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: MySQL Spatial Data types
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 05:02:57 GMT

On 11. aug.. 2008, at 04.54, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> On 11/08/2008, at 12:23 PM, Rick Blair wrote:
>
>> I have an existing mysql (5.1)  database that has a column named
>> location
>> that is a POINT datatype.  I used the DataModeler and attached to my
>> database.  I was able to use my existing schema, however the data
>> type in
>> the Modeler for that column show as OTHER.  The class that was
>> generated was
>> had the following methods:
>
> I haven't used them myself, but you may need to use something like
> JTS (http://www.vividsolutions.com/JTS) to get these data types
> across JDBC into Cayenne. And then some customisation of the mysql
> database adapter [1] might be needed.

Here is an example how to convert between WKT in a database and JTS
geomertries on the java side. You may have to modify it to let MySQL
convert the POINT datatype from/to WKT.

http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/mapping-jts-geometries.html

I am using this in production, but not with MySQL.

Regards,
  - Tore.