cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Chris Murphy <ch...@strandz.org>
Subject Call a service, but still with one DataContext
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:24:16 GMT
Hi Group,

I am trying to get my head round how Cayenne would work with Spring
services. The great advantage of Cayenne is that it is designed for
exposing the domain model. But applications will still always have
functions best performed as a service. Having two DataContexts leads to
confusion. So is the solution is to have Tomcat embedded in Cayenne's
server-side software? The requirement is to have no more than one
DataContext per user on the server. (There will be a proxy-DataContext
on each client to enable domain exposure). I'm trying
to get my head around achieving "one DataContext".

Would this embedded instance of Tomcat conflict with the server
machine's already running Tomcat instance?

I haven't yet looked at how Cayenne's server-side software is invoked.
Can it only be sparked off as a servlet? Or can a program I write be
sparked off say from the command line - in which case it could create a
DataContext that is handed as a global to an embedded instance of Tomcat
and thereby somehow made easily available
to Spring services that the client apps will call back to?

thanks - Chris

--
Seaweed Software Pty Ltd,
http://www.strandz.org