cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Francois Eyl <f...@smaeur.com>
Subject Re: Update in cascade
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:47:11 GMT
First, you have to know that I have no control on the database
architecture because this is a customer's database (poor and old
existing database).

So, in this database, unfortunately, Name field is PK, and I have no
choice, I need to do a rename even if it is a PK.

Thanks.

Francois

Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> On 01/08/2008, at 10:05 PM, Francois Eyl wrote:
>
>> What I need is, to change the Name (PK) value of my object, and here
>> I need to change the Name in every related object. But I need to do
>> this on the same SQL transaction.
>
> The question you'll probably get back from many people is: why are you
> trying to change the PK of the object? That is supposed to be the one
> immutable property of the object. If you are changing the PK of
> existing objects in your database, you may need to rethink your
> strategy. On the whole, avoid using meaningful data as the primary key
> and your job will be much simpler. Cayenne gives you a range of
> options to automatically create nearly sequential primary keys.
>
> Ari Maniatis

> ish
> http://www.ish.com.au
> phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001
> GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C 5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

Ce message a ete verifie par l'antivirus de MDaemon 5 .

Par precaution, n'ouvrez pas de pieces jointes de correspondants inconnus.