cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: estimating proper object cache size
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:51:56 GMT

On Jul 5, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Marcin Skladaniec wrote:

> During my tests I was fetching 1k, 10k or 100k records using ROP.
> Select queries with no paging, no query caching. It was always that
> the first query took a while longer (about 20%),

Probably this was due to Cayenne warmup (class loading delays and
such). Usually in performance tests the results of the first pass
should be thrown away as they are not representative.

> but as mentioned before the object cache size setting did not
> influence it.

Yes it won't. SelectQuery always refreshes objects in the cache,
unless you call 'setRefreshingObjects(true)' (I am actually thinking
of deprecating this method).

Shared object cache (actually this is DataRow cache) as opposed to
query list cache, is intended for relationship resolving, and creating
updates. So when you run a straight query, generally it has no effect.

Andrus