cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "ihawk ihawker" <ihawkm...@gmail.com>
Subject Modeling heterogeneous entities (inheritance issue)
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:03:16 GMT
 Hello!

I am trying to model a list of heterogeneous entities by having a
ListItem table where the  list item entity is able to point to an
arbitrary entity (Person, Computer, URL, Movie, etc).

I don't want to use single-table inheritance natively supported by
Cayenne because of big database size overheads (the entities are
drastically different from one another).  In fact I don't necessarily
want to use inheritance at all (PersonListItem, ComputerListItem,
etc), but this seems to be the only option in Cayenne to model such a
list.

I've read Mike Kienenberger's article
(http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/compositeverticalinheritance.html) about
simulation of vertical inheritance in Cayenne and found that it might
be acceptable for my case.

But I am having problems generating classes from the velocity template

 - Скрыть цитируемый текст -
given in the article, although I've used code generator parameters
recommended in article.

It seems the parser fails to parse ${objEntity.getClientSuperClassName()},

${anObjEntity.getClientClassName()}, although other methods/attributes
of "objEntity", "entityUtils", "stringUtils", "importUtils" are parsed
correctly.

I've tried with Cayenne 2.0.4, Cayenne 3.0M4.

Thank you,

Andrey Strib.