cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Help! I need the magic no-cache recipe
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:24:54 GMT
Hi Chris,

On Jul 8, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Chris Gamache wrote:
> I can now say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that cayenne is caching
> relational requests when the same keys are used to retrieve the
> parent data
> object.

Yeah, each object within a DataContext is guaranteed to exist as a
single instance, so all its relationships will be preserved, even if
it is fetched multiple times, unless you use prefetching.

> The rows returned from the toMany request are volatile, and need to
> be re-queried when a new SelectQuery is run.

You need to use prefetching.

>> someQuery.addPrefetch("thisRelationIsaToManyList");
>> context.execute(someQuery); //throws ClassCastException in the part
>> of
>> the code where it is trying to prefetch.
>>
>> How do I make certain the cayenne is not caching data from a relation
>> that returns a ToManyList? Probably not addPrefetch() because it
>> throws a ClassCastException.

Prefetching works. I guess you used the wrong prefetch key that caused
the error, but that's no reason to give up. The string you pass to
"addPrefetch" must be a relationship name for the entity that is a
root of the query.

Andrus