cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Øyvind Harboe" <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
Subject Loading small tables into memory for the application lifetime
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:06:26 GMT
In the apps I'm working on I can generally sort tables into two
categories:

1. tables that change as part of normal operation of the database
and/or where the number of records is too large to fit into memory

2. various and sundry small tables. These have a small number
of records, change infrequently and can easily fit into memory. Loading
these tables take an instant(lest I'd categorize them as #1 tables).

#1 has relationships to #2 entries. These are constantly resolved via
sql queries.
At a guess I'd say that 95% of all queries are to resolve relationships from
#1 to #2. Ideally I should be able to mark a table as #2 via a configuration
option in my application as part of hardcoded tweaking of the app.

Is there a way to load #2 permanently into memory so as to avoid
SQL statements to resolve relationships from #1 to #2?

Since loading all #2 tables take an instant, they could be dumped if
more than  N seconds has passed since they were last used.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html