cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Lachlan Deck <lachlan.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NamedQuery / SQLTemplate keyPath validation
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:31:16 GMT
Hi Andrus,

thanks for the reply...

> there is nothing there that would let you do that outside the
> context of query execution. One reason why we never pursued such
> functionality is because ... well, such context is needed:
>
> * you need a place to stick joins as you walk the expression path
> * you need a way to match bound variables against "?" in prepared
> statement (we don't do conversion from Date to String for instance,
> as there is no sane way to do that for all databases; we let JDBC
> driver handle bindings)
> * you need access to specific DbAdapter to generate correct SQL and
> correctly process bindings.

okay.

Perhaps I should describe what I'm actually doing. All I need is a way
to get a count of a select query (without having to fault in all the
related objects). So is there a way to trigger that, in order to just
get a count back, with a SelectQuery without going the sqltemplate or
namedquery route?

> The closest thing to what you describe is a procedure of translation
> of an EJBQL query (which is logically, but not semantically is a
> close analog of SelectQuery) to SQLTemplate. It is also done in the
> context of query execution, but with some effort it can probably be
> converted to a standalone SQLTemplate without execution.

Would that help here?

Sorry the subject was misleading... I ended up changing the body from
its original - where I was finding that foreign keys in the expression
were being validated and it was throwing an exception because they
weren't public members... but that's another (albeit related) topic.

with regards,
--

Lachlan Deck