cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Relationships of unsaved object
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:06:21 GMT

On 05/06/2008, at 11:48 PM, Michał Morzywołek wrote:

> As far as i understand Hibernate was created to fit DAO model - and
> it works
> perfectly.
> Cayenne seems to have very different architecture in this matter.
> With the
> need of registering the new objects in Cayenne (at the start) it's
> hard to
> create perfectly "sterile" DAO layer.
> It is possible but its much slower then using newObject() method and
> just
> "mixing it all".

Not sure what you mean by sterile, but Cayenne has a different history
and different strengths to Hibernate. Registering new objects from the
point of instantiation actually does have some advantages and I think
it is a pattern you'll quickly grow to like. But yes, it is different
and is not the JPA/Hibernate way. It means that objects are always
tracked by Cayenne through their entire life, and they are always
attached to a context.

If you really want, there is a POJO enhancer available in Cayenne 3 as
part of the JPA compliance work. Documentation is still a bit thin at
this time.

Ari

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001