cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Cayenne and JAX-WS / JAXB
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 04:04:50 GMT

On 29/05/2008, at 1:29 PM, Jon Sharp wrote:

> Thanks so much for the input.  It's exactly what I was looking for.
> Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure of the approach, either.  It seemed
> to me to make sense that since we have a data object such as a
> "Campground" that Cayenne has already defined for us, that we would
> reuse this object in our web service layer, as well.  I did consider
> the fact that this object's purpose was more specific for ORM
> purposes, but it seemed that it might be useful as a general purpose
> definition of a given entity.  However, you do raise some good
> points I hadn't considered about validation.  I guess I thought we
> might be able to add that validation to the data object itself, but
> perhaps not.

For what it is worth, in our application where we use Axis for the
SOAP communications, we have separate serializable classes
specifically to tie into SOAP. That way we get to hide details of the
Cayenne entities from SOAP users (for example, primary keys) and have
an explicit separate step to copy data from the SOAP classes into the
Cayenne entities, perform validation and then commit. This also allows
us to insulate SOAP users from internal changes to the database schema
and entity model.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001