cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Jon Sharp <...@campgroundautomation.com>
Subject Cayenne and JAX-WS / JAXB
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 23:51:15 GMT
Hello all,

We are using Cayenne 3.0M3 for ORM in our project and are exposing
this database using SOAP Web Services.  We're using the latest Sun
Metro stack (1.2), consisting of the JAX-WS and JAXB frameworks.  In
attempting to use Cayenne Data objects as either return types or
method parameters for our defined @WebMethod's, we are greeted with an
error that indicates JAXB does not handle interfaces.  For those who
may not be familiar with JAX-WS/JAXB, JAXB is responsible for
marshalling java objects into XML, and this is of course necessary for
use in SOAP web services provided by the JAX-WS framework.  According
to https://jaxb.dev.java.net/guide/Mapping_interfaces.html, there are
some solutions for this issue, but it appears that it may involve code
changes to Cayenne.  I'm not a Cayenne developer, so I cannot say how
feasible or practical this approach may be.  Perhaps someone could
comment on that, but more important to me at this point is determining
whether anyone has been successful in marshalling cayenne data objects
to XML using JAXB?

Thanks,
Jon

--