cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Big list'o questions.....
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:51:15 GMT

On 03/03/2008, at 10:37 AM, Frits Jalvingh wrote:

> This means I would not use Cayenne for any kind of work that handles
> large amounts of objects; something that is not advisable anyway for
> the
> current generation of ORM's.

I think it 'depends'. That is, what do you call 'large amounts'?
Certainly using an ORM will be slower than native SQL calls, but for
most developers this is not nearly as important as having code which
is quick to write, reuse and refactor. And easy to read. But I guess
that is why you are here.

As for fetching large numbers of records, take a look at Cayenne's
paging [1] functionality. For customised query/update/insert code,
perhaps SQL templates [2] will be useful to you.

What sort of load do you intend putting on your ORM/database that
requires more than these optimisations?

Ari

[1] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/paginated-queries.html
[2] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/sqltemplate-query.html

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001