cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: 3-tier architecture
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:17:47 GMT

On Mar 14, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Borut BolĨina wrote:

> Can you please write a tutorial on advanced usage of Cayenne? That
> would include patterns and best practices on how to implement and
> configure 3-tier architecture without the missing rmi client-server
> services.

ROP docs are there... You can deploy a Hessian ROP service
(essentially a webapp) and use remote clients. Remote client can be a
Swing app, a web app, or any other Java application. Think of it as a
web service vs. a traditional EJB2 service.

> We can develop some scenarios, describe them, draw them and prepare
> source
> templates for people to start with.

Yes, improving the docs and providing more examples is a very good
idea. Any help with this is welcomed. For now we have a 2.0 ROP
tutorial that shows all the moving parts involved. That's a good
start, but I agree that we can go further.

> P.S. I am interested in what is _mostly_ accurate, or better yet,
> what is
> not.

Historically people who ran away from EJB, came to Cayenne or some
other ORM technology. So as it happened, people who do not feel the
need of a physically separate middleware layer running business logic
have always been the majority of the community, and people who used
EJB's were a small minority. This minority used the EJB recommended
approach - DTO, etc. What is not accurate is that _nobody_ used
Cayenne with EJB's.

Andrus